Friday 13 February 2009

Front Cover


I decided that the house colours for my magazine would be purple, pink and blue after carrying out my questionnaire. I therefore mostly used these colours when creating my front cover. With my cover lines, I made the kickers a different colour from the explanatory text because I had seen this done in other magazines. It also made the page more colourful, which related to the genre of 'FUSE' which is mostly pop. Pop is usually associated with multicolour / technicolour (see Mood Board). I feel that the masthead font links in well to modern music theme, so I kept it for the sell line and date because they were close to the masthead.
I managed to give the button the pattern of the union jack using Adobe Photoshop. I feel that the colours of the flag provide a bright, eye-catching contrast to the other colours used on the page.
I also used Photoshop to make the model in the picture's head come over the masthead. I used this technique because many popular magazines do it because they are already so well known that they are recognisable even if part of their masthead is hidden. I wanted this idea to be created on my front page.
I rotated the barcode and put it on the side of the page so that it would not fill up the space needed for my cover lines and so that the right hand side of the page would not be too empty.
In my cover lines I included buzz words such as 'EXCLUSIVE' and 'WIN!' to attract the reader. I also used the words 'SEX, DRUGS AND ROCK n ROLL' in my main coverline because this kind of language will appeal to my target audience- young adults.
I made some slight changes to my mock up. Instead of putting the date underneath the sell line I decided to put it on top of the masthead as I felt this took up less space.
However, all the coverlines are positioned as explained in the mock up. I placed the main coverline in the bottom right corner because I thought it looked good there and I saw this done frequently in other magazines such as 'Marie Claire':


1 comment:

Mr Lau said...

Nice masthead and strapline. Both work well.

Here's some feedback.

Pink and blue work well, but make sure all the pinks are the same pink (use the pipette colour picker tool in photoshop) and all the blues are the same shade blue-to match the t-shirt.

You could even change the UK flag to pink and blue-using the same shades-try it and see how it looks.

Dateline could go under the E or above it. But make sure it lines up with the edge of the E.

Move barcode to bottom left and make it horizontal. This may mean your main coverline needs to be a bit smaller.

I think these few changes will make a difference on your cover. You may choose to act on some of them or all, you're still the designer. Try them out and see what you think.

A sound first attempt, you've applied your knowledge well.

Mr Lau