Friday 20 March 2009

Double Page Spread


My final Double Page Spread is the top one. I was stuck on whether to choose the first or the second draft because I liked them both, but I thought that in the second one the pink box covered up too much of the photo and made the guitar almost invisible. The only down side to my first draftis that I could not include the explanatory text as it diverted too much attention, so I had to go against what I wrote in the mock up.
I am happy with how my spread turned out. I think that I managed to create a Z-line to aid eye-flow- from the pull quote to the second picture to the title to the exit / box. I also think that my spread conforms to music magazine conventions. It has most of the components I noticed in other magazines inlcuding the smaller details such as the drop-cap, AP and a text box.
I made my double page spread very colourful (like the slug) to match the personality of my artist and the general mood of my magazine. The questions in the interview are bold and a different colour from the text so that the difference between the two is more obvious.
The language I used was very informal and the mood was quite colloquial (e.g. "Oh gosh"). I also included references to drugs and sex. I wanted to use this kind of language because the magazine is aimed at young adults / teenagers, so the mood should not be to serious / formal.
The pull quoted I used has the word 'stoned' in it in bold. I chose this quote because 'stoned' will attract attention as it is commonly used amongst the target audience and is quite a rebellious word, and I made it bold so that it stands out even more.
The font I used for the block of text is 'Bell MT' because it is serif and this is the best type of font for large blocks of text. The title is in 'SF Old Republic' because this is sans-serif, good for headings, and it is the same font I used for her name on the front cover, showing consistency. I also created consistency by using my house colours throughout the spread, rarely using any other colours.
I made the title black with a pink outline using 'Stroke (Outline) Selection' because I thought this made it stand out the most. I tried making it bright pink like on the front cover, but this was too bright on the spread and did not stand out enough against the background because it was not dark enough.

No comments: